Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Different Types of Assessment

This blog is actually from Friday, I just never posted. Oops lol. Well on Friday we discussed different types of assessment and generally about how students and teachers feel "victimized" by assessment. It really doesn't have to be that way. The student and teacher can engage in different types of assessment beside the traditional pen and paper. For example, in a Math class students could handle their own "make believe store" and assign discounts to various items. Even in a History class assessment can be fun and memorable. In one of my classes, we actually held a mock Constitutional debate and convention. We compared our Constitution to the real one. Stuff like that can get students to even remember their assessments and actually remember the material. I'm not saying traditional pen and paper is a bad method to assess students, i'm just agreeing with today's (Friday's) lesson in saying expand your horizons and try different methods to get your students interested. I think that's what our public education system lacks.

4 comments:

Dr. Luongo said...

Agree, agree, agree!!

Sometimes the best way to assess students is to *ask* them how they would like to be assessed.

How is that for thinking outside the box?

Alisha said...

I agree...the most memorable assessments for me were the ones I created for myself...I remember in my high school Spanish class we had to know and pronounce certain Spanish foods. So my group mates and I decided to create a Spanish menu to help with remembering the terms n it worked...it all amounts to what works for the students

Chloe said...

Well, I wasn't there for the Friday class, but from reading what you posted, I agree completely. Personally, I hate using pen and paper for everything, it gets too boring. Mine is similar to what alisha posted. In spanish class, our teacher had groups create a music band with our spanish terms, and we then had to perform it. It was really fun and weird, but I still remember the words, and the song.

Dr. Luongo said...

And isn't education remembering what you learned more than getting the "A"?