Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Today's Youth

Conjunction Junction really opened my eyes. LOL no but seriously that skit is awesome. Yesterday's class made me think about how strict to be when i'm a teacher. Today's youth hates guidelines, but you can't eb their friend either. I noticed that yesterday during my field experience. The first teacher I observed with was tough but fair and all her students seemed interested and alert. The second teacher was much younger than her and quite lax with his lesson. Children were walking around the classroom and yelling out the window. He did, however, have a small following of devoted students but the disruption caused by the other students was overwhelming the classroom and nothing was understood. I realize as a teacher you have to set rules but be fair and kind to the students. Like Mr. Grimes' second try at educating, the students like him much better when he was being helpful instead of attacking the students.
--Mike

3 comments:

Dr. Luongo said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Dr. Luongo said...

Excellent observations, Mike.

As a teacher, it will take you a while to feel your way around and figure out what works best for you. That newer teacher my still be in that "feeling out" phase. He may need to change grade levels or modify the way he teaches to meet the needs of all the students.

For me, it depended a lot of the grade level and perconalities of the students I taught. I found being calmer worked better than getting excited over the "little things".

However, I feel that if you treat students fairly--and as human beings (no matter what age-- they will respond appropriately. Will they all love you? No. Will they all hate you? No. Hopefully, you hope they all respect you, though.

BTW-- Glad you enjoyed Conjunction Juction...

What will be next??

Alisha said...

i understand where you are coming from...i had situations similar to yours with my observation teachers...one was strict but fair and the other was relaxed and playful with the students...with the 1st teacher many of the students didnt like her but they respected her...the 2nd teacher received little to no respect from the students...i feel that it is important to have a good rapport with the students, however, they still need to respect the teacher.