Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Vocabulary? Important??!

I guess it is. Of course it is! Vocabulary is essential in a healthy society. If people were more cultured and less "street" (as someone I spoke to today about the topic said) things might be a bit better. I mean, since the internet has debuted, vocabulary has significantly decreased in importance, that and grammar. It's so much easier to say "u, r, 2morrow, gtg, brb, lol, etc." than to type out these lists of words. Rightfully so, people should be able to speak this way in an informal setting. However, the classroom is a place for proper language. I have to agree with Professor Luongo and most of the class in saying that in my classroom I demand proper grammar and usage. It may seem old fashioned, but I know many of my students will thank me in the long run. Anyhow, I think I'm done here. See you all on Friday.
--Mike

1 comment:

Dr. Luongo said...

Mike,

You are so realistic and correct.

There is a time and place for "lol", "gtg", etc... There is also a place for correct speech and grammar. This place should be the classroom.

Thanks for the post!